The common poker terms are known even by beginner poker players as they couldn’t play the game without knowing them and if you want to play and gain money, read our poker winning tips page. There are also other terms that are not that popular but it is important to understand them, especially if you are planning to play real live poker. If you know casino poker terms you will gain respect from the other players and it is always great to have a good poker image.
• Backdoor – This happens when you catch 2 cards, on the river and the turn in order to complete a strong drawing hand.
• Big Slick – Nickname given for a pocket hand of Ace-King.
• Blank – One card that will not affect poker hand standings.
• Board – Name given for all the community cards that appear in Hold’em or Omaha games.
• Bot – In poker context it refers to programs that will play online without the need of human intervention.
• Brick & Mortar – The term refers to a real casino. It is opposed to an online poker room.
• Bubble – The point in a tournament where one person will have to go out in order for all the others to win money. The poker term is also used to describe the player that finished in this position.
• Calling Station – A player that is passive and will call much without often folding or raising.
• Chop – The blinds can agree to chop the hand, which means that they will get back their blinds. This can only happen if nobody else is involved in the hand.
• Crying Call – You make a crying call when you expect to lose your hand but do make it because of good pot odds.
• Dead Money – Money that was contributed in the pot by players that are no longer involved in the hand.
• Family Pot – One pot in which most players will make a call before flop.
• Free Card – A card on the turn or river in which there is no need to call any bet as nobody made one.
• Maniac – Poker term used to describe a player that is very aggressive in both bluffing and betting.
• Pat – One hand that is made with the aid of the flop card.
• Play the Board – You play the board when there is a possibility that you can bluff the other one by making him think that you have a poker hand of high strength.
• Quads – The Four of a kind poker hand.
• Scare Card – A card that can switch the rankings of the poker players involved in a hand.
Keep in mind that there are a lot of poker terms that you need to learn. Never be ashamed to ask if you do not understand something. For more glossary, read and learn roulette terminology.